Category Archives: PS Move
Dear friends and visitors,
I am happy to announce that the inaugural episode of the DPod has finally been posted at FromtheDPad.com
Be sure to check it out HERE and submit your questions to sharon at from the dpad dot com to be read in future casts.
Thanks for your loyalty.
So you just picked up Gears of War 3, or you’ve been playing through Dead Island, OR you’re waiting patiently to add Saints Row: The Third or Assassin’s Creed Revelations to your library. Why not expand your family gaming library by adding some of the games that you can enjoy with your kids.
Have a peek at just some of the titles available starting now and throughout the next few months.
Face Racers: Photo Finish
No. of Players:up to 4 players
ESRB: E For Everyone (contains comic mischief)
Start your turbo-charged engines and blast into the outrageous arcade racing game, Face Racers: Photo Finish, with photo customizable 3D racers that put YOU in the game! Available on the Nintendo 3DS, Face Racers delivers unique, in-your-face gameplay, with dangerous obstacles that come to life in 3D right before your eyes! Take photos with your 3DS camera and place them on the face of your custom 3D racer, billboards and power-ups. Take on friends in multiplayer mode for a true photo finish in Face Racers!
• Use your photo to customize your racer, billboards, and power-ups!
• Challenge up to 3 friends in local and online multiplayer.
• Take control of the wheel with 3DS tilt-steering.
Kirby Mass Attack
System: Nintendo DS
No. of Players: 1 player
Category: Side-Scrolling, Real Time Strategy
ESRB: E for Everyone
The evil Necrodeus uses his magic staff to split the heroic Kirby into 10 copies of himself. Players must help Kirby return to his original form and save planet Popstar from darkness by guiding him on a quest through worlds fraught with enemies and obstacles. Players start with one Kirby and add more Kirbys to their crew by gobbling up fruit. With unique touch-screen controls, players can then use the stylus to flick Kirbys to break through obstacles, tap on enemy attackers to swarm them with Kirbys or gather Kirbys together and draw a line to carefully maneuver them in a mass. If Kirbys are knocked out, players can simply gulp down more fruit to rebuild their numbers.
“With 10 Kirbys to control, players can expect 10 times the fun,” said Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada’s vice-president and general manager. “As consumers start thinking about games for friends and family members to enjoy this holiday season, Kirby Mass Attack is another great experience available only on Nintendo systems.”
Happy Feet Two – The Video Game
System: Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and soon to Nintendo DS
No. of Players: 1 player
Publisher: Warner Bros.
Available: Autumn 2011 for PS3 Wii Xbox
November 2011 for 3DS & DS
“In Happy Feet Two – The Videogame, kids will not only love playing on their own, they will have even more fun playing side-by-side cooperatively with friends and family members, or compete in penguin dance showdowns and belly sliding races,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production and Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “The game’s all new, controller-based dance system uses the player’s rhythm to enhance the dancing competitions, and the gameplay lets kids interact with their favourite characters from the film.”
In the game, new dangers are threatening the penguin nation, and it’s going to take everyone working – and dancing – together to save them from extinction. Players use dance moves to recruit penguins with unique abilities that help advance the adventure, stun opponents and enemies, as well as manipulate the environment around them to solve co-operative puzzles.
For the ultimate experience, players can dance their Antarctic adventure in 3D. The game will be available in full 3D for the Nintendo 3DS. In the Xbox 360 and PlayStation versions, the game is made specifically for stereoscopic 3D TV sets with the ability to disable 3D functionality at any time. The Wii and Nintendo DS versions feature traditional 2D.
uDraw SpongeBob’s Surf and Skate Roadtrip
System: Nintendo DS, Xbox 360
Available: 08/11/2011 for the DS and November 8th for the Xbox 360
No. of Players: 1-2 players
ESRB: E for Everyone
Hit the sand and surf with SpongeBob and his best pal, Patrick, for some super boarding escapades! Ride mondo waves and winding waterways, and skate gnarly seaside streets and ramps for hours of challenges that’ll test your awesome boarding skills.
SpongeBob’s Surf & Skate Roadtrip is non-stop action featuring 2 modes of play” Story and Challenge. In Story Mode, SpongeBob and Patrick relive their crazy road trip to the beach through slideshows leading into arcade-style play. Freestyle your way through Challenge Mode as you, SpongeBob and his bodacious Bikini Bottom buddy explore a brand new never-before-seen world.
Key Xbox 360 Kinect Features:
- For the first time ever, you can BE SpongeBob
- Augmented reality—move your hand through the water and watch it splash!
- Compete and play with friends – show off your awesome tricks and mind-blowing stunts in head-to-head play (2-player split-screen)
- 12 awe-inspiring environments – 6 for each sport—and unlimited ways to perfect your board skills
- 7 different challenges including Flag, Timed, Score Runs
- Express yourself with a variety of righteous boards – earn even more awesome boards, the better you ride
- Strike a pose: use your camera to show off gnarly moves and tricks
Key DS Features: [call out BONUS LEVEL for DS]
- Surf and Skate across more than 24 maps
- 2-player multi-play with Single and Multi-card gaming
- Grab some air in 5 different victory conditions – Score, Collectible, Combo Mayhem, Win the Race, Untouchable
- More than 150 ways to play for unlimited hours of boarding action
- Customize your boards with colors, stamps, wheels, fins and decks
- Bonus Sport: Full Snowboarding level with 10 maps unlocked upon game completion
Super Mario 3D Land
Release Date:Nov 13, 2011
No. of Players:1 player
ESRB: E for Everyone
Get Ready for a New Spin on a Familiar Tail
Super Mario 3D Land reinvents everything fans love about Mario™ gaming with the first platforming environment in true 3D, without the need for special glasses Players will experience an exhilarating new sense of depth, distance and speed while running, jumping and stomping on enemies throughout the levels.
- Tanooki Mario returns! The fan-favorite Tanooki suit makes its first appearance on the Nintendo 3DS. Use the Tanooki suit’s tail to attack enemies or float gently down from great heights. These abilities help players move through the 3D environments with more confidence.
- 3D visuals make it easier for players to judge the depths and distances in their environments. Players can more accurately judge the jump to the next platform or how far Mario is from a question block.
- New and familiar abilities add unique game-play strategies to the adventure. Mario can perform a rolling somersault attack or run fast with a dash move.
- The Circle Pad gives players complete control to confidently move Mario through fun and challenging environments.
- New enemies include Goombas with tails, tall stacks of Goombas and a Piranha Plant that spits ink to obscure a player’s view.
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
System: 3DS, DS, PC, PS3, PSP, Wii, X360, PSV
Available: 18/11/2011 for 3DS, DS, PC, PS3, PSP. Wii, 360 and during Q4 for the PSV
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 builds upon the magical gameplay, lessons and potion-making skills learned in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 to equip gamers with the tools necessary to challenge a host of new foes and some familiar ones (including He Who Must Not Be Named). The upcoming title is action-packed from start to finish, including loads of new lessons, spells, and bonus content for hours of family friendly gaming.
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 takes players through Harry Potter’s heroic adventures in the Muggle and wizarding worlds. From Privet Drive in Little Whinging to Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade and Hogwarts – plus new locations including Grimmauld Place, the Ministry of Magic, and Godric’s Hollow – players will encounter new faces, new challenges and new magic, preparing them for the ultimate face-off against Lord Voldemort™.
“In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, we are giving gamers a truly epic conclusion to the most successful movie franchise in history with delightful gameplay for fans of all ages,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “We have built upon the first game and are giving fans even more magical abilities, puzzle solving and exploration, in addition to our distinctive brand of hilarious LEGO humour and charm.”
“LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 offers Harry Potter and LEGO fans an immersive experience that is fun and accessible for players of all ages,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Development and Production, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “With this game, TT Games captures everything fans love about the Harry Potter universe – and adds a distinct LEGO twist.”
“This game is a game of magic! LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 distils the drama and action of Harry Potter‘s magical world, and then gives players the chance to immerse themselves in their favourite characters and environments, where they can discover new adventures and have great fun,” said Lisbeth Valther Pallesen, Executive Vice President, LEGO CED. “TT Games has successfully combined a deep appreciation of the Harry Potter story with signature LEGO humour and superior production capabilities in another fantastic LEGO video game.”
The Penguins of Madagascar Dr. Blowhole Returns Again!
System: Nintendo DS, Wii uDraw Xbox 360 Playstation 3
ESRB: E for Everyone
Dr. Blowhole is out to take over the world and only Team Penguin can foil his diabolical plans. Jump into an all-new adventure with 3 unique game episodes and over 12 exciting levels. Lead Skipper, Kowlaski, Rico and Private as you commence super-secret missions in, under and outside of the zoo, culminating in the grand finale in Dr. Blowhole’s Lair.
- Brand New, Original Story
- Dr. Blowhole, the diabolical dolphin, is back with his lobster minions and a new plan for world domination and it’s up to Team Penguin to stop him from his wave of destruction.
- Solve perilous puzzles, build crazy contraptions, nimbly navigate hazards and rescue Marlene, Mort, and the rest of the zoo crew in your mission to save the world.
- Penguin Power!
- Utilize each penguin’s unique abilities to overcome obstacles and solve puzzles. Use Skipper to assemble the team, Rico to regurgitate explosives, Kowalski to build devices and Private to squeeze through tight spaces – the possibilities are endless!
- Play through a multitude of wacky mini-games, including Ninja Knock-Down, Mort Bowling and even a dance-off with everyone’s favorite lemur, King Julien.
Have a great title in your family library that everyone in your family loves? We’d love to share it with our GamerFitNation. Be sure to leave us a comment about the family friendly titles that get extra attention in your house.
Dwight Howard takes us on the set of the recently announced Adidas miCoach for consoles.
Adidas miCoach is the highly regarded mobile coaching app/training program that is designed to turn your phone into a personal coach. miCoach uses GPS and real-time voice coaching in your ear to pace you through easy to understand workout zones as you run. Choose a training plan tuned for your sport to build speed and endurance.
According to a recent interview with ESPN.go.com, whose Jon Robinson talked with game producer David Sapienza, the game is being designed to “ help athletes perform better, whether that’s being faster or stronger.”“What we’re building is the strength and flexibility aspect of the program. Athletes have already developed these specific programs, and now we’re bringing these exercises to the………
Keeping Fit: Mind, Body, AND Soul
When we talk about being ‘fit’ it is easy to conclude that we might be talking about workouts, muscles, and getting in top physical shape. Being fit, however, is a result of exercise for the mind, body, and ‘soul’. Exploring the ways we can use technology to help us maintain and develop an overall level of fitness is exciting and fun but ultimately it is up to us to understand and exercise all areas of fitness.
Exercising the mind
We all love a good puzzle game, a good noodle scratcher, something to get the hamster running, but does this kind of mental exercise (such as a brain training game) really have merit when it comes to a fit mind?
Scientific America stated in 2009 that while nearly 50 studies of this activity had already taken place “most of these early studies were done on rodents”. Melinda Smith, M.A. (an editorial writer with a masters degree in psychology) suggests, in a recently revised article, that physical fitness including important areas such as sleep, food, and exercise all aid in achieving fit mental health. In her article “How to Improve your memory: tips and exercised to sharpen your mind and boost brainpower” she provides similar exercises to help memory and cognitive skills as the ones found at Lumosity.com.
Lumosity is a website offering users fun, engaging exercises for improving the brain. Lumosity.com grounds all of its brain exercises in extensive research and cutting-edge science from around the world. Under the guidance of their Scientific Advisory Board — which includes researchers from such institutions as UCSF and Stanford — their neuroscientists design their training programs to produce noticeable cognitive benefits. Using novel, engaging and constantly adapting challenges, our exercises strategically target brain areas such as memory, attention and processing speed.
Of course I decided to give it a try. …