Posted by Sharon
Like many others I watched E3 remotly as Nintendo talked about the 3Ds that would soon be unleashed upon the world. With my DSLite not far from reach, I smiled with apprehensive glee. Finally a DS upgrade that I might be interested in.
Granted, I am not a fan of 3d. yet.
Movies, games, and tv manufacturers all on the 3D train, I feel a sort of compelled rebellion to the movement. Don’t get me wrong, I saw Avatar in the theatre too, but I strongly believe that not everything needs to be 3d! NOT EVERYTHING – do you hear me George Lucas?!
But I digress.
As an already four eyes, the prospect of a small piece of 3D technology (the kind that did NOT require me to wear a second pair of 3d glasses overlapping my already expensive and now scratched spectacles) is somewhat intriguing. Skeptically I waited and watched.
“Control the level of 3d? Turn it off completely? You don’t say…..”
Then, more specs started to surface.
According to the release:
- The 3DS has two cameras on the outside of the device, capable of taking 3D photos and capturing 3D video, as well as a camera positioned above the top screen on the inside of the device which faces the player, capable of taking 2D photos and capturing 2D video
- The system also has 3D movie playback capability; Nintendo has made deals with Warner Bros, Disney, and DreamWorks to deliver 3D movies.
- In addition to its own software, the Nintendo 3DS will be backward compatible with Nintendo DS software, including DSi software. Announced titles include Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario Kart 3DS.
- At launch, the Nintendo 3DS cards will hold up to 2GB of game data and look almost exactly the same as those of the current DS
- It was announced at the Nintendo of Japan press event on September 29, 2010 that the 3DS will have a Virtual Console Service with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and “Classic Games” in 3D. HELL YES
- Multitasking is available on the 3DS (i.e. You can access web browser while in game).
- Miis will be available on the system. There will be a new Mii Creator on 3DS with the ability to import from the Wii and create a Mii from a photo taken by one of the cameras. There also will be a 3DS Mii Plaza to house all the Miis you’ve seen in Tag Mode.
- The system supports multiplayer gameplay via a local wireless connection or over the Internet. Expanding upon the connectivity of the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo 3DS features an “always on” background connectivity system that current trademarks suggest the name being “CrossPass” which can automatically seek and connect to wireless network nodes such as Wi-Fi hotspots, sending and downloading information in the background while in sleep mode or while playing a game.
Naturally by now I want that 3DS. I want this device as much as a grown woman can want a DS (turns out that is a LOT).
Carefully, I am now paying attention to news regarding the 3DS, when I can get it and how much it will be.
But pause for a moment. Sure there are lots of great features but what GAMES will i be able to play? Well it turns out there is a lot on the horizon and even if there weren’t… there remains one. ONE to beat all others in the race to my 3DS heart: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D
Metal Freakin Gear already scheduled for 2011 release.
And oh my lookie here:
Contra, Bomberman, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda? Yes PLEASE.
Yesterday Nintendo announced the release dates and price point for their upcoming 3DS. Hitting North American stores in March 31, 2011 the 3DS is expected to be sold at approximately $300.
Ouch Nintendo! We are now looking at the price of a major console. Is this portable gaming system really expecting to compete with the PS3 and 360? Granted I already have those, but most DS users I know are under the age of 18.
So who is your target audience now? I think it might be me. STILL, while i want the 3ds something fierce, and March is possibly long enough away that I might be able to fill the piggy bank with pennies, thats a lot of cashola. Think of all the bills i could pay with that!
How can I justify that kind of spending on a handheld unit?
How will you?